Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sommerfest

The kindergarten Rose attends in our village had their annual "Sommerfest" at the end of June. There were brats&soda, games for the kids, coffee&cake, and the kids all participated in a program they performed for their families that day.


I signed up to help serve the "kaffee und kuchen" (coffee and cake). I was a little nervous about my lack of German language skills, but my friend Sarah helped me translate through any language barriers I encountered.


There were so many beautiful and unique cakes. I wanted to try a piece of everything...


These were all the "kaffee und kuchen" workers in my time-slot. I really enjoyed getting to spend a little time with all of them. The woman on the far right is my friend, Sarah. She has two daughters in Rose's school, so I see her at least twice a day--it has been so much fun to get to know her better.


Here is Rose and her friend, Katie, getting ready to walk to where they were "performing."


They are supposed to represent Italian beach-goers--hence the swimwear...


Now the beach beauties are camped out on their towels, and you can see the other Italian representations--pizza, Venice, etc...


Having Rose in a German kindergarten has been such a great experience for both her and I. It has been so neat to get more exposure to the German language and culture.

3 comments:

Carrie Reynolds said...

So glad you found me on here. I get overwhelmed by facebook and rarely look at my news feeds. Your trip to Sicily looked amazing. I will have to live vicariously through you for my travels abroad. If business keeps booming or if I writethe next best seller maybe I can venture out of good old Springpatch a little more. You have an absolutely beautiful family. Cheers!

Ash said...

Oh my gosh!! Sooo cool that she is in a german preschool! Are you learning German too? And those cakes...deliciousness! Is your friend German?

Rachel said...

Ashley, my German is still terrible. I can't tell you how many times I've wished I just studied languages after high school instead of going to college. And the more German I learn, the more I realize how complicated languages are. But I'm still trying to learn a little each day.... And yes, my friend is German--hopefully I'll pick up more of the language from her.