It was then goodbye to our good friends and off back to Kaiserslautern. Should of been a nice drive back, but we got stuck in some bizarre stop and go traffic for over an hour. Lucky for me, bad for Rachel, we switched drivers right before hitting it. Oh well, we got back safely and look forward to our next little trip and to when we can see Chris and Laura again. It was good.
We wanted to be able to spend more time with our good friends Chris and Laura, so Rachel had the brilliant idea of getting a babysitter to watch Rose and Evan while we took a little trip to Munich. We left at 9am on New Years day and didn't return until 10pm the next night and it was WONDERFUL. It was so nice to be able to have time together and with friends without having to worry about feeding or napping kids or calling it a night by 8 o'clock.
We had to make a pit stop on the way because we both had our morning coffee and nature came calling. This was our first experience with a restroom that charged you for entry...50 Euro cents. At least it was clean. Oh, and my urinal had advertising that became backlit once it sensed that I, ahem, did the deed. Strange.
Waiting for the U-Bahn. I either said something pretty funny, or I had something stuck to the back of my head. I can't remember.
Walking up to the Frauenkirch, the Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady, the largest church in Munich. Also one of the few things open to visit on New Years Day.
Look how happy and carefree we look. If any of you come visit us, I won't stop you if you want to volunteer to watch the kids for ANY amount of time. :)
Enjoying a wonderful Weizenstarkbier (dark wheat beer) at a brewhaus. I liked it so much, I found it in bottle form at a local grocer and bought 10 bottles.
Laura had her fill of German meat dishes for a while, so she thought she'd give a vegetarian plate a try. She looks pleased, but I don't think Chris is too impressed. He's waiting for his big piece of smoked pig.
Our hotel had a delicious complementary breakfast with all kinds of good meats, cheeses, breads, pastries, etc. How could I be expected to be ready for a picture with so much good stuff to eat?
This is Marienplatz, the central square with tons of surrounding shops and restaurants. The column in the middle is the Mariensäule, or Marian column, with a golden Virgin Mary on top. It was erected in 1638 to celebrate the end of Swedish occupation during the Thirty Years' War.
Outside the New City Hall in the middle of Marienplatz. Pretty amazing. Built in the late 19th, early 20th century in the Gothic Revival architectural style.
It was then goodbye to our good friends and off back to Kaiserslautern. Should of been a nice drive back, but we got stuck in some bizarre stop and go traffic for over an hour. Lucky for me, bad for Rachel, we switched drivers right before hitting it. Oh well, we got back safely and look forward to our next little trip and to when we can see Chris and Laura again. It was good.
It was then goodbye to our good friends and off back to Kaiserslautern. Should of been a nice drive back, but we got stuck in some bizarre stop and go traffic for over an hour. Lucky for me, bad for Rachel, we switched drivers right before hitting it. Oh well, we got back safely and look forward to our next little trip and to when we can see Chris and Laura again. It was good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You guys really do look extremely happy in those pictures. Are you sure it's not the beer?
God I miss Germany, so accessible to everywhere. I am so glad you and Rach got away for a bit Munich and Switzerland looked awesome. :0) LT
Post a Comment